Sunday, March 18, 2007

Back Home

One of the things that I loved about all of my travels was the time to read. I had forgotten what it was like to get lost in a book. On the way out to San Fran I read Tammy Stewart Greenwood's Nearer than Sky. I have this goal of reading all of the books of my colleagues. I was dazzled from page one. It's amazing how much this book speaks to the short stories I have been writing. Tammy has a way of writing about intimate relationships between men and women and women that are related that are so true to life, it's hard not to recongnize part of yourself within each of her characters. In reading this book, I came to discover more about how I handle my own personal relationships and was able to come to terms with some of my own anxieties and coping mechanisms.

I'm now reading Joan Didion's The Year of Magical Thinking. I even cried on the airplane---another book that will make you rethink how you live and make choices. I'm not done yet, but I think this will be on my list of all time must reads. Yes, I'm having a serious case of fiction envy right now.

No comments: