Monday, October 23, 2006

Squash Surprise

I just got back from teaching a "Master Writing Class" at Woodbridge High School. It went very well. It made me remember what it was like to be young and into writing, but not really knowing all that much, say that people could be a "poet" and what you had to do to become one (sigh). I also forgot how fun it can be when you really get people talking and to use their dreams/nightmares as a place to enter their writing. It was good to get out of my own head and just talk with them about what it's like being a writer---yes, i have another job, no I don't wear a cape. One girl even asked if I was "with" somebody. Ah, to be young and allowed to ask those questions and to have things like nail polish drawn on with a black sharpie because your mom won't let you buy the real black nailpolish!

Last night I made a great butternut squash pizza which I promptly housed when I came back. All you do is bake the squash with some onions, olive oil, kosher salt, and black pepper---then put it on the pizza crust with some ricotta cheese and mama mia!

2 comments:

Elliot said...

Hey Carly, it's Elliot Harmon from the Perpetual Motion Roadshow.

I loved your reading. It was the highlight of the night for me. I'm ordering your book next time I get paid.

I run an online journal called Idiolexicon. We'd be honored if you'd submit some work. But regardless, keep in touch.

Carly said...

Yes, I loved your reading and was bummed we didn't get to talk or hang out more...let me know how the tour is going and my email is carly.sachs@gmail.com---send me yours!